Old 12-02-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Clowery…….trying to quit, cold turkey is very dangerous...especially for someone who has been drinking a lot for a long time.....
I have, personally, attended the detoxing of hundreds of alcoholics....
Your husband sounds like he was in extreme withdrawl...and, he could have gone into DTs (google delirium tremems)….or have withdrawl seizures...or various heart emergencies, or a stroke....All of this and more is possible.
If he went to the ER or went to a private doctor, he could be given medication, under medical supervision, so that his withdrawl period would be COMFORTABLE.....
At only three days in, he still could have dangerous withdrawl symptoms....
You can be sure that he is suffering greatly. His discomfort is REAL.....more intense than a non-alcoholic can imagine!
Personally, I think that it is very unrealistic to expect him to be other than "normal"...after just 3 days of cold turkey...…
Of course, he is going to be miserable and extremely irritable.

I think it would be best if the kids were to stay somewhere else in this kind of withdrawl situation....seeing all the fighting is damaging to them....and,very frightening.

I am not surprised that he is going to the liquor store....withdrawl is so painful and dangerous, that most alcoholics will return to drink, just to get away from the pain...…
There is no need for that when there is merciful medical attention and medication that will make the alcoholic physically comfortable.....

If he should ever try this again....I suggest that y ou and the kids go elsewhere...even to a motel, if necessary. Call an ambulance....at lest, you will have covered your own medical responsibility.....
do not prevent an alcoholic in withdrawl from taking a drink, if they insist on it...as, it may be more safe for them to drink than to suffer the dangers and misery of withdrawl and no medical attention.....

Would he consider going to rehab....or, AA....or, maybe both?

If he will not....then, I suggest that you are way over your head, with him....as it will only get worse.....