View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Brightlight2015

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post

Since your A was sober for several years, I wonder if that's what happened to you to some extent--you were able to breathe a sigh of relief and go back to "normal" life and its challenges rather than continuing to work your own recovery, which probably didn't seem like much of a priority any more. Again, I'm not judging you or saying any of this is your fault--of course it's not! I'm only suggesting that your tools for dealing with it may be rusty or hard to locate b/c you haven't had to use them for some time.

I'm sorry you're dealing with what must feel like a terrific betrayal. I don't know if you ever heard anyone say "the alcoholic is just drinking, he's not drinking AT you." The first time I heard this, it put things in a whole new light for me. He's drinking b/c he's an alcoholic, NOT to spite me or defy me or whatever else. And for me, being able to not take those things personally was a huge step towards being able to make better choices for myself (or make choices AT ALL, rather than just being carried along on emotion and reaction to someone else's choices!
These are very insightful points. I definitely neglected my own "recovery". I don't think I ever really grasped what I was dealing with when it was ongoing. I was a newlywed, new mom, and thousands of miles away from my family. I feel much more grown now, and my immediate reaction to him drinking this time was to get help for myself. The first time I was dealing with this, I didn't even tell anyone. It literally took months of pure hell, maybe even a year or more before I even told my mom what was going on. And even then it was a PG version. I am a pretty private person, so reaching out to anyone (even a group of loving strangers online, lol) is huge for me.