Old 11-24-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Auchieshuggle

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
Donny, I also had horrible anxiety. I drank in into semi-submission for years but then I got sober and it was out and about, really taking over and ruining my new sober life or trying anyway.

A book that made a huge difference for me in coping with this constant anxiety is by Dan Harris, the ABC news guy, it's called 10% Happier. He actually had a panic attack during a broadcast once and feared for his career, but he learned meditation and it saved his job and his mental health.

To call it meditation doesn't even do it justice, it's not some weird New Age thing, it's just learning how to sit still for a few minutes at a time while paying attention to your breath. It seems so simple but it changed his life, it changed my life, and it could be a huge help to you too I bet. Read the book and give it a try!

All the best to you, Donny. I know it's tough staying sober when you feel like your mind is rebelling against you but you're not ruined, nothing like that. You're capable of a lot more than you know.
That sounds great, thanks!

SnazzyDresser, were you actually having panic attacks and not just generalised anxiety? I'm almost two weeks sober and currently agoraphobic. It's horrible, but I am confident it can be overcome.