View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Thank you for this excellent resource. I've puzzled a lot about Bill Wilson over the years and over what possessed him. The article does shed some light on Wilson's psychological motivations.

Bill Wilson is a strange enigma to me, so it's not a surprise that his program would also seem strange to me. His foray into LSD, even though explained away in the article as "being of another era," must be at least curious to the most devoted AA member today. He wanted people who could not believe in the spiritual to have a spiritual experience by any means possible, so he could help them in his own limited way. And that is to his credit... kind of.

He apparently could not see that he could help more alcoholics if he widened the scope of the program, rather than trying to squeeze all alcoholics, even if it might require drugs to do it, into his spiritual philosophy, and stranger still when one realizes that spirituality is not necessary in treating alcohol abuse.

It is a hopeful sign that equally successful secular programs like SR are available today. Secular defined as not anti religious, but inclusive of all beliefs or lack of beliefs, and even more hopeful that many of those who have been helped by AA can recognize this.

When I got sober in 1993 there was no internet. All I learned about AA was from those in my immediate AA circle.

It was years later I learned from another member Wilson had experimented with LSD.

I also learned that Wilson while in the hospital had been under the influence of belladonna a drug known to cause hallucinations. And his buddy Ebby Thacher had been to the hospital attempting to get Wilson to turn himself over to God and free him from alcoholism.
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/health/20drunk.html

All of which leads me to believe it's not unreasonable to think Wilson's spiritual experience was a result of the drug. Of basically being as high as a kite.

Which doesn't change the fact he helped start AA and millions are grateful. However it does lead me to understand why the 12 steps may not provide a spiritual awakening for all.

Still, this doesn't mean one can't get sober in AA without a spiritual awakening... because many do.

But I understand why some in AA prefer to keep such a discussion and/or Wilson's flaws as a man under wraps.

However, I'm not sure that's possible today.