View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
However I am suffering from agoraphobia and horrible panic attacks at the moment. I will try to force myself out later, though.
I'm sorry you are struggling with so much anxiety/agoraphobia.

I know how debilitating it can be. My suggestion? Don't "try" to force yourself out, just do it (and I mean this literally as in right now - let us know how it goes).

Perhaps apply the breathing methods and other suggestions Dee has posted above before you walk out or stop while you are walking and apply them. Try counting as you walk, count your steps maybe.

Small steps, but consistent steps. Today your "outing" might be sitting on the front step for a few minutes (if you have one) and practicing the breathing technique. Or walking to the corner of your block and back. That's it. Maybe you can do that twice. Say - I will do that right now and throw your shoes/coat on and go. Then say, I will do that again later. When there is a lull in your day again, do it again, don't bother to dwell and plan and make it out to be some horrendous thing. You are walking two houses down or whatever, it truly is no big deal, tell yourself that. When you return, realize what you have done and what a success that is. You can do this, because you just have!

Maybe it's half a block, maybe it's 2 houses away. Make it manageable. Doing it and doing it consistently is the key.