View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have trouble reconciling people pleasing with my AA way of life which to quote the book means "Our very lives depend upon our constant thought of others and how we can help meet their needs". The danger in "people pleasing" as such may be that it could lead to resentment which is bad news for alcoholics of my type.

On the other hand I have learned to use a business principle "under promise and over deliver". It avoids pressure for me and ensures the customer will not be disappointed, in fact it creates the opportunity to later exceed their expectations.

For those customers whose expectations cannot be talked down I introduced an urgent service fee, which compensates for the disruption to other customers or work in progress. Amazingly, most customers suddenly find it was not as urgent as they first thought, and they reduce their expectations accordingly.

I once had a guy working for me who constantly over promised and then could not deliver, leading to lots of disruption, pressure, and unhappy customers, which in turn gave him a migraine and he would have to go home early.

A couple of other principles or policies that have worked well is that we don't take rude or bad paying customers or jobs which we know are not profitable, we send them to our opposition, and the other one is we don't want all the business out there, just the profitable business.