View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ciowa

I've only been going to AA for the past 3 months but it has been useful to me in many ways and I take what I find useful and ignore the rest. My experience is with only one specific place so I know there are differences in groups and locations.

I will say that in my meetings, there does seem to be an emphasis on the sobriety day and this sense of being reborn. I get it. But at the same time, I know a lot of people don't discuss anything they learned or experienced in life prior to entering AA unless its something negative. Its like their lives were worthless prior to that point. But I've learned a lot from people who are still drinking or struggling with drugs. If I only learned life lessons from people after they got completely sober then I wouldn't know much about anything. Related to that, there are a lot of long time sober folks who's only advice is really to work the program or talk to a sponsor. Feel like drinking cause your brother died? Work the program, do an inventory etc. It sometimes feel like no one should offer an opinion unless they are drawing on something they learned after joining AA, which I think leaves out a lot of useful experiences from people to draw on.