Old 10-30-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Sasha1972

I’m glad you have the chance to move, given what you say is going on where you live now (economic stagnation, substance abuse, etc). Growing up in a setting where people have more hope and do more with their lives will be really important for your daughter. From the experiences of a couple of friends recently, I’ve really become aware of how adolescent and young adults adapt to the expectations of those around them - their peer group - no matter what may be the case for their immediate family. Really, really important to be in a place where negativity and apathy are not the “normal”. Aspirations are contagious.

(My friends’ kids live in a small rural area that’s hurting economically, everybody’s life happens within the same five miles, everyone who can get out has done so and the ones who are left don’t aspire to much more than a life spent bouncing from one low-paid, low-skill job to another, helped along by copious amounts of alcohol and meth - the very things that are preventing them from being able to succeed at school or work).