View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cap3

Congrats on 60 days sober,way to go.keep on,keeping on...
You say that you drank for 26 years.Married for 22 years.
your wife has never experienced you sober,for any lenght of time.This is all new to both you and her.It took me at least 2 years to come out of that fog that i was in.And has sence taken alot of time for changes,and still changing to this day.Growing never stops.Healing,changes takes time,patience,tolerance.
I know that when i first came to recovery programs i was on that hill-top that they speak about in the Big book.I was so excited,that there is a solution,finally.My problem was that i thought i had the solution for others,who were just not ready to make changes.Im alcoholic too,and forgot that one needs to hit their own bottom,before they will go for recovery.Forgot who i was there for a while.Forgot where i came from.Was caught up in changes for everyone.Youd think that i wouldnt forget,about understanding another alcoholic,but i did.How many times have others come to me,saying er,um,think you should get some help there gal,only for me to turn it all around on them.I look back at this time,where although i was sober,i had not changed inside.Selfishness,self-centeredness,self-will gone riot.Only with intentions of helping/giving solutions to others,this time.The same ,thoughts/actions i had done when drinking.Always trying to get the others to change.If they changed,then "I" would be so happy,yes life would be grand..My life would be just hunky-do..Life on lifes terms says differently.Its not about them,its about my own recovery,and to keep my focus on this.Growing out of the alcoholic mind,by living in the 12 steps of recovery.Step one,for both programs...Wasnt it people,places and things,that we as alcoholics blamed for all our woes.If only folks were more like me,than i would be ok...NOT.Recovery is all an inside job.If im ansty around others who drink,than i need to bone up on being more spiritually fit.My sobereity is not dependant upon people,its dependant upon my relationship with God,,BB...When i came to recovery programs,i had,had enough.By Gods Grace,Hubs drinking never bothered me.It was a remember when for me.Sick folks will never behave normal,until they go for help,,step2.When i let go,let God,working on my own recovery,this is what changed my life,and still does today.Recovery is all about changing the person who i brought into da recovery rooms,which is me.Its not about changing others.Thanks for letting me share,
Prayers for your family,
God Bless,and take care!!!!!!!