Thread: Ptsd
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
4theboyz

I first tripped through the doors of AA in 2008 and struggled off and on for the next 11 years never able to hold down my sobriety for more than 3-6 months. Each time I failed, my drinking only got worse. My last Day 1 last year I was months away from dying. Knowing what I did in the past did not work, I did research into my options and committed to an outpatient program. Also I re-evaluated my therapist and the work we did and the lack of success therein and noticed in my research a group of addiction therapists where one therapist list PTSD in his specialties. So I said hmmmm....let's check that out. Long story shorter I saw him and it was easily determined I indeed had PTSD and a lot was rooted in traumatic episodes from my childhood and a couple of dooseys from my adult life. I went to his office and there he introduced me to EMDR therapy and I will be damned if that was not the missing link for me to be able to navigate my stress and anxiety that I used alcohol to extinguish. Once I was able to manage and control these stressors/triggers with EMDR my need for alcohol pretty much vanished. I strongly believe EMDR is what has helped me achieve and stay sober for 432 days now.