Old 10-13-2019, 09:30 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Tatsy ~

I think whatever irrevocable term/metaphor you want to use to identify your Booze Urge is all good. It is your Sobriety, after all. To me, this bit of Mind Gaming is a bit like a Mnenomic Device. It's all about identifying in a way that's convenient, persistent, and meaningful to you.

I quit a few Months before finding SR, and stayed quit permanently. This was all outside the AVRT/RR Construct. Subsequently, AVRT/RR put a useful form around what I called my Big Quit Decision. One thing I've come to realize is that such an *Inner Quit* - unshakable resolve - is the key to whatever Sobriety Method is used. For me, this Truth resonates through innumerable SR Sobriety stories.

A subtlety I've come to accept is that it's useful to not push back against anything. Me, I don't push back against the assumption that I'm supposed to drink 'Socially'. And, thus resent that cultural presumption. I don't push back on the concept that I'm 'missing something' by not drinking. And, so on. All this 'push back' requires energy, and could lead me to collapsing my Sobriety in some sort of hissy fit when times are really bad. I could overshoot my intended target of remaining sober. Not unlike the Sumo Wrestling Match I've mentioned where one Gent simply stepped aside to let the larger Gent charge right past him, and out of the Ring. Match over.

In what I believe is a like manner, pushing back against your 'Beast' - and the last Relapse such a former Construct now represents - is now not useful. I get that. I just flow through such Sobriety challenges w/o forcing my way through them. No energy-wasting push back required. It's a practice I call 'Buddhism Lite'. Any energy-wasting *fight* is long gone. I've moved on to modify AVRT/RR Principles in subtle ways that work for this Introvert while retaining Core Principles.

If such a useful Tool for you consists of a metaphorical line in Concrete, I'm all for it! This puts the non-drinking Entity outside your real Self, and I think that's a critical variable to your continued success. That which helps you succeed is far more important than any Program or Process conformance.