Old 10-12-2019, 11:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

I like to break "cravings" into 2 categories.

1) Physical cravings
2) Mental obsession (you could call this a compulsion or mental cravings if you prefer)

The physical cravings were a short term issue to get though (~week or so, give or take a few days). That's how long it took for my body to completely detox from the substance. The mental obsession (or cravings if you prefer) lasted much longer than that, and this is where finding a plan / recovery method becomes important. The mental obsession can last indefinitely or subside and then come back if not dealt with, and I am living proof of that. I have stayed sober for several years at a time on multiple occasions only to have that mental obsession come back, which lead to a drink. And once I took that first drink the physical craving kicked back in causing me to want more and more.

I am now on my third go of long-term sobriety at 6.5 years, and I use the 12 step approach as my plan / recovery method. I went to AA meetings in my previous stretches of sobriety but never practiced the principles of the steps in my life. Eventually the obsession returned, usually when some type of life crisis came up, and I ended up drinking again. My last relapse lasted 8 years and nearly killed me, so when I decided to give sobriety one more try I became willing to work the steps. Living by the principles of the 12 steps has made a big difference in the quality of my life as a sober person this time around.

So I guess what I'm saying is that dealing with the mental obsession/compulsion/cravings seem to need some type of long-term plan to keep it/them in check. People on this site have had success with a variety of recovery methods with the key being that they integrate that plan into their everyday lives. Alcoholism is a chronic disease/illness, and it's been my experience that I need to treat it as such. Just like a diabetic doesn't stop treating their diabetes just because they start feeling better, I can't stop treating my alcoholism just because I start feeling better. It's a life-long commitment that I'm more than willing to do in order to avoid going back to the hell I was in near the end of my last relapse.