View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gal220

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

It does seem as though there is a point in early recovery in which people who are serious about getting/staying sober decide to open up to others, despite their personal reservations.
This was definitely me. I am very much an introvert, and even after several years still get anxious in meetings sometimes. But I do not believe I could have gotten sober without them. As an alcoholic, I can rationalize, justify, and make things way more complicated than they are. As someone who suffers from depression and anxiety, I can get bogged down in my own head. I needed a consistent, external perspective. Staying sober is really very simple, but it is not easy. Going to meetings made me accountable to others, gave me access to many points of view and insights into living sober, and allowed me to get out of my own head. The great part about meetings is that I am free to share as much or as little as I want, and I can take or leave any suggestions.

Basically, I had to make my sobriety priority and become honest with myself. If you ever do decide to go to a meeting, just know you don't have to share. If asked, you can just introduce yourself and say you are just listening. You don't even have to identify as an addict or alcoholic in an open meeting.