Old 09-27-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
Thanks Wes and August. Sounds like I may have to fork out a bit of cash on this - but I have been putting it off thinking I had it nailed. But there is still that sticking point which is clearly an inability to deal with certain feelings. Therapy is a no-brainer. I've identified someone who works near me. And your point, August, on the variable quality of these practitioners is absolutely noted. I guess you can just tell straight off the bat? Or do you reach these conclusions as the result of lots of trial and error and weighing up the good against the bad?
A few thoughts-
Yes, I have spent a lot on therapy over the years. Most of it has not been covered by insurance. To wit, my therapist is $120 a session (an hour), and I see her a couple times a month; my psych is $215 for 35 min (incl med discussion) and I go every 3 mo (that was every 2 wks when I quit) and our pastoral counselor is $130 (for an hour, and we go every couple of months; it's awesome couple time).

As far as "knowing off the bat" - yes and no. I have gotten a "click" feeling with some therapists and not others (I am just going to use that therapist word generally from now on as I think it does apply to the collective). That has sometimes meant not going back after a couple of sessions, one notable time in particular when I got an appt time wrong and he yelled at me; others took a little longer and in one scenario I ended up complicated-ly over-medicated.

I am very fortunate with the team I have now, and my entire network of drs and caregivers, from GP to recent back surgeon, are largely referral based from people I trust, and each other. For me, this area is essential and a priority. Trust me, I know perspectives vary- my husband had zero "need" for drs til getting sober and honestly, marrying me and beginning to see why the path of "getting help" can be monumentally important to well being and good relationships.

I'd also caution you against your analytical, "weighing the good v bad" thoughts here. Some things are specifically identifiable - many are nebulous. We can easily get in our own way, especially the more intelligent we are. And IQ and EQ are totally different things.

You've probably guessed (ha) that I believe in a multi-pronged approach. I do not believe in doing it yourself or EVER having things nailed, as you said. I know we have butted heads when you haven't liked what I've told you, so I will just close by saying thanks for asking my input and I wish you the best. Permanent sobriety and a life in recovery truly is the simplest way I can imagine living, and while life can be complicated my program and resources and internal tools can get me back to simple most of the time.