Old 09-27-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CRRHCC

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
Hi there.

I was going to post this in the alcoholism forum but felt it might be a bit off topic so am posting here. I am making progress on getting sober but relapsed again this week after 37 days. I am regularly getting over the month mark this year but seem to get stuck. The precursor to my relapses is not any sort of romanticism of drinking or temptation when out socially but actually the onset of a really dark mood which fills me with anger, unhappiness and anxiety. I kind of "f@ck all of this sh!t" mood where all I want to do is take the intensity of it away with the dulling agent that is alcohol - even though I know that it's a very blunt instrument by which to achieve this goal - given all of the negatives that come with it.

So, I think it's time for me to look into therapy. But I'm not sure what to expect and I have heard that really deep levels of introspection in a longer term course of psychotherapy can actually make people feel worse and not better? And then there is CBT which I have done some reading on, but have no experience of. Can these two different forms of therapy be done in a way that's complimentary to the other? Although that's getting in to expensive territory.

Would welcome any and all thoughts on the subject from your personal experience.

Cheers,
Brian.
CBT addresses catastrophic thinking. Psychotherapy is better in your case. There is a reason you relapsed. Addictive behavior is never random, there is always a reason and a reward.

Psychotherapy can get to the cause of your abusive drinking and offer high value alternatives that can empower you to regain control over your emotions.

If money is an issue, get the book by Lance Dodes, "The Heart of Addiction."