View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
My experience of AA is not that it is a cult, but some members exhibit cult-like behaviour. I also find the veneration of long term sober members, some of who are or behave like dry drunks and appear to have long lost sight of the core principles of the programme whose praises they sing to others, troublesome. Nevertheless for this alcoholic, there are enough positives to keep me coming back.

Imo, many of the complaints regarding AA and members I've heard over the years are in fact valid.

Yet, for this alcoholic AA is a good fit. However, from my first week in AA I realized not everything and everybody was what it seemed.

But so what? I took what I needed and have been sober since joining AA.

You're not going to agree with everyone and everyone is not going to agree with you.

Imo, a major key is learning to get along with others. Don't like the Lords Prayer? O.k. but no reason the bash it either. You feel there is too much of a religious aspect to AA? Don't believe in a higher power?

Again O.k. But don't take offense or resent those who do.

Take your time in AA. Members who are pushy and get in your face are generally dry drunks regardless of how long they have been sober..

Today there are plenty of options with regards to getting sober but AA is free and well established.