View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Lucinda2

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
The beauty of SR, Lucy is the strength of commitment and support we have in this safe community. I think you are right- I got c-PTSD and the grief, pain, shame, fear and all the other goodies are just interwoven in my soul- they will never be entirely absent, but we can keep the screaming voice of past horrors- down to a whisper with support. I did CBT and it is a great way of dealing with now, today. Then I did ACT, which is great for accepting feelings not so good (within reason of course- if I stay in bed for 5 days because of sadness- I cannot accept that state of being and would get help) and getting on with life.

To me- life is like a grey flat sea (boring, repetitive, long, tiring) with little periods of sunshine (joy or more important- feeling 'connected') reaching down from above the clouds and islands of great stuff...and sad stuff (and here this terrible metaphor finishes)...etc.
The everyday stuff gets me down some days, then the guilt kicks in (from being a kid I think) because I am not being productive…..

but we soldier on, don't we?
We do soldier on Phoenix.

I hear you with the terrible metaphor. I think life has always felt this way to me too. Way before I ever picked up a drink or drug. I am very 'stiff upper lip' so it is good to hear others articulate what goes on inside my head but I never say. I thank you for your courage. I have heard that CBT is useful. I had not come across ACT before - just googled it. We are lucky in this day and age that there is a myriad of resources. This year I am going to find the courage to access some of those resources.