Thread: Sick of myself
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post
So the next time anybody thinks they want to drink like normal people, maybe they're thinking of the wrong people.
This is important for those still struggling to understand. It's easy to confuse normal with desirable or some idealized state. But God knows I look around at "normal" society sometimes and think to myself, "Please don't let me become a part of this stupidity." Now drinking isn't necessarily stupid. It just turns out that way a lot of the time. If someone wants to achieve a normal state, I would argue that sobriety is the default, and therefore by most definitions,... the norm. And after I got sober, it was truly a surprise to realize that most people aren't normally drunk after 5:00 PM.

I think another definition for normal is "average." But there's nothing particularly noteworthy about being average. You get a "C" for that. You can do better. And the golden rule in self improvement, whether its letting go of your addiction, getting closer to a god, or developing self awareness is not to get normal. It's to improve. THAT'S THE GOAL. if someone believes being normal should be a goal, I would encourage them to rethink that. Normal is a perception at best. Perceptions are usually flawed too.

The real reason alkies drink is not to be normal. It's because they are addicted. What they really want to be able to do is feed their addiction without suffering consequences. And we know that's just not possible.

One more thought, before I shut up. Feed as much alcohol to a normie as I used to drink, and I think he'd end up acting just as stupid most of the time. You know, like falling down, throwing up, and having a "good" time.