View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Lucinda2

Day 5 Holiday

Calming down. Not so stressed. It is getting easier. The sky has not fallen in.

I keep wondering if I have been a massive drama queen about this. After all I am holidaying in the countryside. It is not a sun-soaked Ibiza beach villa with cocktails type holiday. But I think it is okay. It is early days and it is a big deal. Going forward it will just be how I live my life and I wont make such a fuss.

Alcohol is becoming less of an issue on my holiday apart from being glad that I am not doing it. I am getting a little more adept with dealing with things too such as moving conversations on from the latest craft beer discovery or length of the new red. Only a slight moment when the barbeque was lit, after all barbeques and beer go together right? Nope, wrong, what a silly association. Moving on now.

I have been rather self-absorbed in my anxiety around this holiday and forgetting that it is everyone else's holiday too. The husband, even though he has been let off the hook, went back to drinking his soft drinks collection. I know that a few beers on holiday are one of his pleasures in life so yesterday I took him into a pub and brought him a beer while enjoying a diet coke and sharing a packet of crisps with the dog. Boy, that felt empowering!

It was a lovely day today. I enjoyed playing by the river with the dog who loves to swim, hiking about and seeing new places.

I have been very humbled by the hand-holding I have received on this thread and have learnt so much from each posting. I have gained new tools, not just for remaining free of alcohol addiction but also for life. I hope I can give at least a little of what you guys give. I will stay around and try.