View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Lucinda2

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Hi Lucinda ~

Well, boy, I certainly could 'out-ramble' you on this topic, so we'll see where this goes.-)

What you're tackling was perhaps the most difficult aspect of my now-effortless Recovery in the later Stages: militantly facing, and then creating, a personal fit into Socializing; given how invasive Alcohol is in Society. Indeed, it's the sole factor that had me finally book 4 or so sessions with a Drug/Alcohol Counselor a few Years ago. Suffice to say, Folks not traveling 'our' path don't get it, and most never will. The ultimate acceptance of that Reality is mine alone to process. I didn't continually walk around all steamed about this, but it sure f'n pissed me off at times until I mapped out a way forward to deal with *Alcohol = Fun*. Why should I have to be the [Sober] one to be forced into Social Contortions to accommodate this lie shilled by Drinking Culture?

Your observation that somehow touring a Brewery having 0% swill to drink makes it all OK is the heart of the matter: that the issue is nothing more than the existence [or not] of Ethanol. Or, that being offered a Seltzer at an otherwise-drunken Wedding Reception transforms such an Event into something palatable to someone Sober. Ummm, that's a big ole 'no'.

As recently as last Summer, I opted out of a Beach-side Wedding in California because there was no Escape Plan possible for me when the Reception - indeed, the entire Weekend - went south. Inevitably. I was towing our RV Trailer 3 long Days to the Coast, and trying to book a Campsite in peak Season. Our beloved Dog was with us. A Dinner the Night before was on a Yacht with wealthy Right Wing-types that, itself, was gonna to be an daunting exercise in mental detachment, and resentment-filled small talk. Hey, I know. I'll just take my own Bamboo Shoots to stick under my Fingernails! That would have been less tortuous. THEN, we were getting pressure to attend a sotted Brunch the Day after the Wedding because we were there already, right?. I was actually plotting on Google Earth where I could walk/escape to in order to bail from the Wedding Reception [WHICH went on until 3 AM]. I finally gave my Wife of 42 Years the option of going alone, or us not going to this Wedding of 30 Year-olds. So, after much angst, we didn't go. One of my better Sober decisions. I would not have drank, because I don't. I would, however, have been predictably miserable around so much Alcohol and Coke and Pot.

'If It's Not Fun, Why Do It'? ~ A *Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream* Bumper Sticker

What you're going through, and we all do, I view as a sort of Sober Person's Boot Camp. Trial by Fire. Not an exercise for the wishy-washy. The Good News & The Bad News? These situations will never go away. We can't change that. I realized I could change how nimbly I adapt to such inevitable situations. All the power lies within me. No Spouse; no change of Venue; no thoughtful compromise by a Drinker will change Reality. Only my Mindset interpreting Reality will. Hence, my Sig Line below. That's, arguably, the Bad News, and the very-hard-work part. The Good News is that you're coping fabulously! Get comfortable with doing this, because you have a Lifetime ahead of doing exactly that. Adapt on the fly like some Sober Ninja. Rinse & Repat.

The additional Good News is that we become facile at adaptation. It becomes effortless. Like practicing a Tennis Serve, or a Golf Swing repeatedly. I've also gotten unforgiving at [rarely] turning down Social situations that are dead ends for Sober me. No Second Guessing myself. No Guilt. I absolutely refuse to engage in Codie Crap where I endure Drunks because 'I have to go' to some function. Actually, no, I don't. There's simply no sense in always having to be the one to twist myself into Knots just because Alcohol permeates Society. This sotted permeation is increasingly the case from where I sit.

So, well done on adapting, and on molting into your new Sober Skin. I greatly admire what you're doing, and how well you're doing it! Having to do what Sober People are forced to do sucks less over time, and eventually doesn't.

~ 'Heroes' ~ David Bowie ~ Live ~

Wow, I really enjoyed your ramblings! They resonated with me hugely. Sobriety is mental! I also really appreciated your kind words and affirming encouragement. Means a lot.

Interesting about the alcohol permeating society. I have never noticed it more. Even the guide book for local walks maps them out via the pubs! I like what you say that we can't change the bigger picture, we can only work on our own mindset. I have been trying to focus on my mind as a garden and pull the weeds and nurture the flowers. In general, I am not a hippy dippy but it is helping me to visualise and make progress with my thoughts.

Your post made me giggle throughout. It also helped me in very real terms today. Our friends wanted to book a table at a French restaurant for Friday night. I know that let us go to a French restaurant is code for 'let's eat pontificate like prentious twits (polite version) about expensive wine lists and have a bit of food with our wine'. So I politely but firmly declined this invite without bothering to explain (they wont get it anyway, they already told me there are soft drinks on the menu too ).

I am already feeling more comfortable in my new sober skin and believe you when you tell me that having to negotiate all this will get easier.

Thank you so much. Your post is one of those that I am going to be pulling out and reading over and over.