View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lucinda2

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Your husband seems great and like he’s been a huge support. Try to remember that he, as you said, is a “normal” drinker. So, he really can’t possibly understand the challenge you are going through being sober on your first vacation, right? He clearly had the best of intentions (hence the online soda ordering), but we all slip up in the moment once in a while, right? The big thing is he felt badly and was willing to hand back the pint. To me, that act of kindness is a bigger deal than the ordering a pint slip up.

Try not to equate him ordering a pint with not supporting you. He can be drinking and yet also supporting you - the two aren’t incompatible. I know it’s not preferable, of course, but I hope you get what I mean.

It sounds like you guys are lucky to have one another. And I’m so impressed by your slapping down the AV at the start of your vacation. You’ll be so proud of yourself at the end of the vacation, and I think you’ll even be more proud of yourself now that you’re also being the new awesome sober you solo. You can do this!!!
Thanks for this, Sohard. I was able to draw several useful things from it. Firstly, you are right, even with best intentions none of fully understand situations until we live them. Secondly, it was a lightbulb moment for me about the husband can still be drinking and support, that they are not mutually exclusive. Thirdly, you are absolutely right - I will be prouder and more confident for doing this solo. It will give me a firmer foundation going forward.

Also Sohard, you said this to me when I was worried about this upcoming holiday on my Day 1 AF;

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Lucinda, I had big hurdle to jump (like your 10 day trip) very early in my sobriety. Rather than think of it as a doom’s day, try flipping it in your head. It’s awesome you have such a challenge, because if you can get through that, you know you can get through anything. So, in just six weeks and 10 days, you’re in clear waters!
I don't think you will know how hard I have hung onto your words over the last 6 weeks. Am almost in those clear waters. Thank you!