View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lucinda2

Day 2 Holiday (journal)

It's been okay.

Friends arrived and the fridge is now chock full of beer and wine. Tried not to feel too resentful about that and reminded myself that it doesn't matter to me because I am not a drinker. I popped to the shop and purchased myself a variety of soft drinks including some with sugar (yay, a holiday naughty) and stuffed them in on top of the beers.

Then took the dogs out while the friends went to the pub. I had a lovely time in the sunshine marvelling at the views and watching the dogs play while the friends spent the afternoon in a rather dingy, village pub. Not that it is a competition or anything but I can't help but feel a little smug and like I got the best deal here.

In the evening our friends cooked a lovely meal for us all and I felt pretty grateful to have this in my life. There was a previous life when I was in active heroin addiction when I watched lives like mine wistfully from the outside. I would see people on holiday with good friends and think them very lucky. I am lucky. My AV tried to tell me that I was finding it a little difficult when the wine started flowing over dinner and then I carried out an independent assessment and found that this was a lie. I was actually pretty okay and feeling quite good about my day.

The brewery tour was brought up and rather funnily our friends had looked it up online and found that they did some 0% craft beers so were sure I would want to join them. It was sort of sweet but irritating all at the same time. I tried to tell them that non-drinkers really have no interest in doing brewery tours but they really don't 'get it', bless them. But referring back to Tatsy's line of thinking - it doesn't matter, they don't need to get it. I get it and that's enough. I actually don't even think that the brewery thing even has much to do with my recent decision either. I am fairly certain that non-drinkers would not be interested in brewery tours regardless of whether they had ever had an alcohol addiction or not.

I have read the guide that Dee linked to about surviving social situations and have made a commitment to myself to read it again every night before bed to make sure I have those tools well ingrained.

I am aware that I am rambling like a nutter but despite descending into lunacy I think it has been a pretty successful day.