View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lucinda2

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Hi Lucinda, I beleive you made the right decision regarding your husband’s drinking. When I was securely recovered, it was self-contained, I carried internally the decision not to drink. That decision was too important to leave to the whims, or unavailability, or cessation of support, by a third party.

Sadly, when my life turned upside down, I listened to my AV. Believed it’s lies that I could drink normally, and switch off the mentally torturing thoughts for a few days. Nope, couldn’t stop, the alcohol seeking pathways in my brain lit up, as though I’d never achieved counted sobriety.

So on that note, my current recovery hinges upon “no matter what” outside influences, life circumstances etc. because I know in my heart and soul, that being a non-drinker is right for me, and drinking is wrong for me.
Thank you, Tatsy. I was glad to see you thought it was the right decision. Overall, I think so too but I have odd moments where I wonder if I just went ahead and made things harder for myself. So it was good to have the decision affirmed.

I hear you about the decision being too important to be anything but internal. I do know what you are saying about those neural pathways too. There is no guarantee that would even make it back. My experience with both alcohol and drugs over the years has been that it gets harder to get back each time, not easier. But even though I know it, it very much helps to have it re-iterated right now.

I am also adopting the phrase you used 'being a non-drinker is right for me' as a mantra. If my arse falls off I won't drink.