View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 04:37 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
murrill

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
I am addicted to self destruction (SD), but I dont consider it to be a cross addiction, I consider that my addiction to alcohol and marrying a sociopath is all part of my addiction to SD. But when I quit drinking and got divorced, the other parts of my SD came out more.

My SD maifiests now through procrasitnation (getting better), creating chaos (getting better) and unecessary financial issues (total cluster).

This all comes down to shame, fear and not wanting to be vunerable.

But I decided that the only way out is through, so everyday I try to do the three things that will help me most, before doing the 50 I do for others. Not easy, but at least its a plan!

My weight is a constant stuggle, but I have no food addictions. Indeed, truth be told, its really not my thing.

X
I have been sober for quite a while (31 years). I thought that once the drinking stopped I was "fixed." Not so fast! I've dealt with multiple episodes of major depression, anxiety, and PTSD. I quit smoking. I got a handle on over-spending. I stopped getting into abusive relationships (although I still find myself in some unhealthy liaisons!). I guess I'm just broken. I don't mean for that to come across as defeatist. I just think that my neediness and damaged parts keep showing up in a variety of areas. You mentioned shame, which is a big one for me.