Old 08-22-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  
fini

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Fini, what did help you with staying quit?
initially, i basically literally woke up one morning with my slight shakiness and headache and had sudden clarity that i was a drunk.
whoa.
that it wasn’t about what i was doing anymore but about who i was.

i had been lurking on the Lifering forum for a while, but then started participating every single day. i had a Lifering meeting in my town, and i was only going to go once, to acknowledge to myself in front of others that i had this problem with alcohol, and found it torturously difficult to walk through that door but knew i needed to.
turned out i loved that meeting; went every week.
was lucky enough on my forum to have some really good connections and conversations that helped me explore my alcoholism. i was reluctantly open to trying to overcome my resistance to and disdain of the aa program when i understood that in order to move forward with building a better life i needed what it offered. so i did that work.
now i am here daily, obviously
i do some “service work”.
this is just a sketch, Tatsy.
in general, i might sum it up as surrendering, then using peer support and through peer support understanding/accepting i needed something else if i expected forever sobriety, and so set out to pursue that.

so glad to hear you are not drinking now.
you DO have a day one in you, and then two and so on. they’re in there !