View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by One23 View Post
I've heard "make 90 meetings in 90 days to build a spiritual foundation". Another one was "make 90 meetings in 90 days to make 90 potential new friends as your spiritual foundation". These two directions do not equate to a spiritual foundation in my experience. But is there something I am not getting?

It is my understanding that the first three steps are the spiritual foundation. I just googled it and it seems to be a practical understanding and following of the full 12 steps.

I told my sponsor recently I am going to take my time for now with the third step. In my story, I went through all twelve steps years ago but still relapsed at month 9. Did 1-8 in my first two years this time around, and still found myself resentful, fearful, and just insane.
Never heard either of those two sayings in AA. This was pretty much how it was for me:

...the practice of attending a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous every day for 90 days in a row is a common suggestion for a newcomer to AA. A newcomer is typically newly sober and requires significant support to maintain sobriety. It’s common that a newcomer doesn’t feel well physically and mentally, being deprived of the alcohol (or drugs) which have served as the solution to the newcomer’s problems until very recently. Without their preferred solution, newcomers are left to face their problems without the buffer of intoxication.

Daily attendance of AA meetings can serve several purposes. The first is human contact. Newcomers are welcomed into a community of people who understand them - something they’ve always had trouble finding. Through that contact, they make new relationships which give them some hope as they face the reality of their situation. Another benefit of daily meeting attendance is that many newcomers are unconvinced that AA and abstinence from drugs and alcohol will be the right path for them. Everything inside the newcomer is telling them to run away, that the alcohol that worked to keep them comfortable for so long is still the answer. They’re sure they’re different, that AA isn’t for them. But as the 90 days unfold, newcomers hear many stories other AA members share. Eventually, someone’s story resonates with the newcomer. She starts identifying with the situations and feelings she hears. In this way, 90 in 90 is a “large dose” of AA, intended to create and solidify the newcomer’s connection to her new AA home group.

https://www.lionrockrecovery.com/dru...ngs-in-90-days