Thread: Checking in
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grymt
All is Change

Patience

I can't help feeling magical thinking is an issue. What I mean by that is expecting someone or something to intervene and save the day.

If so perhaps a way to overcome that is to focus on reality. One reality at the moment is you're feeling really bad. That's good. Be aware of that. When you feel better, be aware of that and as you feel the need to booze, or gamble, become aware of exactly what that feels like.

Then there are tried and true ways to face those real feelings in wholesome ways that lead to serenity, rather than again feeling crook, the trick is to actually use those methods and never expect anyone or anything else to come to the rescue.

I'm old now, many years sober, so it's easy for me. To get there I've had to learn patience and a realistic faith that the effort will pay off. Off hand I recommend making your own food, meditate, do yoga and/or exercise everyday and always seek to do things that are wholesome, avoid doing things that are not wholesome and nurture wholesome thoughts.

And always remember the KISS principle: 'Keep It Simple Stupid'. Simple recipes, simple actions and all the time practice being aware of what your true feelings are.