View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 03:39 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Dropsie

Sass,

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle. I do think its like drinking in the sense that we have to avoid that all or nothing thinking. You took a day off, but now back on. And the really important thing is that you did not have the beer.

I also want to thank everyone for their posts, which I found very enlightening.

When I was a child, I was totally into sugar, then stopped when I drank, and now again. To hear so many people describe the same pattern is interesting.

So, yes, lots of people crave sugar after they stop drinking, but maybe for some of us its because we have always had a sugar addiction and were using alcohol to feed that addiction.

This means that to stop with the sugar is really the final stage in the process that we have started by stopping with the booze. Never thought about it that way.

Of course, not drinking is paramount, but for me seeing the potential relation between the two will be helpful in keeping me away from the ice cream.

This could argue in favor of eating as much sugar as one wants in early recovery so you are not trying to do too much at one time. But it does mean we have a second demon to slay later (as we have learned).

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I have not eaten any fruit since the beginning of the month, but bought some strawberries for my daughter's birthday and had a few. Not sure its a good idea as it made me want more because they were so sweet. Stopped at the portion size, but still. First time I have had any food lust since starting keto.

So I guess its no fruit for me, but shows me just how hooked I am. I do not have the same with other carbs, as I really dont like to eat much.

Sass, what this says to me is that it is not easy. But like with drinking, for me, moderation does not work with sugar. And it seems that fruit is a trigger for me, which is a bummer, and the easiest way to avoid sugar is keto.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.