View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 10:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

My ultimate goal is to feel free in all aspects of life, including social situations - totally sober.
That is my goal also. When I first started skiing, I couldn't go 10 feet without falling down. I swore that if I got off of the mountain, I would never go back up it. But, I lied and I am stubborn, so I went back up and kept at it. It was hard work and it didn't happen overnight, but today I am free to go anywhere on the mountain. Expert slopes, no problem, bring them on. I got this!

That scenario seems to apply to everything in my life. I get better at things, the more I do those things. I drank because I was socially awkward and uncomfortable in social situations. The longer I am sober and the more I practice sober socialization, the less I feel uncomfortable doing it. I will never be a social butterfly, but at least today I am comfortable just being me no matter where I am.

You summed it up for me "My ultimate goal is to feel free in all aspects of life, including social situations - totally sober." I love the freedom of today. Progress not perfection.