View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
awuh1
Sober Alcoholic

Bill Wilson, AA Pioneer and controversy

At the risk of raising a controversial subject I just wanted to point to something that I find interesting. A very reputable organization called "The World Science Festival" has put out many videos featuring some of the most preeminent scientists of our time. I would highly recommend their videos on you tube.

Recently they put out a number of brief videos relating to psychedelic drugs. There will be a longer video coming out on Friday that looks quite interesting.

Some folks with an interest in AA history may be aware of Bill Wilson's collaboration with researchers trying to help alcoholics through their study of LSD in the late 1950,s and early 1960's. Bill took LSD himself as part of this research. He did this long before the drug became part of the counter culture of the 1960's. He subsequently suffered a great deal of criticism for this. My belief is that much of this criticism is the result of 2020 hindsight seen through the lens the cultural revolution of the 60's. I believe Bill was a genuine pioneer and was seeking to find anything that might help the suffering alcoholic, even those who could not, or would not benefit by use of the 12 steps.

Well, there is some recent research that shows he may have been partially correct. There will be a video coming out on Friday through "The World Science Festival" site on YouTube that will touch on some aspects of this recent research regarding addiction.
Those with an interest in the subject may find it quite interesting.