View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FWN

Thanks everyone for the replies. What I'm hearing from you is that this is a bad, bad idea yet the way he talked about it the other night it may be inevitable that he wants to try it unless he comes to some personal conclusion that he is in fact an alcoholic and it won't end well.

I want HIM to come to that conclusion, I mean I know I cannot force that upon him either but I don't want to tell him what to do or give him some sort of 'pass' to try it. He'd show me he could moderate a couple of times and then screw up and ask for forgiveness and tell me it was just that one time etc. been there done that. The whole thing gives me anxiety.

I read something in another thread early this morning that was so simple, yet incredibly profound... if he does everything right, would I still be able to trust him? My trust in him has been obliterated over the years. I do find that I'm starting to try to build that with him right now though and honestly a slip up would just be catastrophic for us at this point. Trust is such a huge factor in marriages I don't know how many chances a person can reasonably get, at some point mentally I just won't be able to try again.