View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Troubledone

after rehab, there is still folly

For those who don't know my story... 15 years trying to straighten out my mentally ill/chemically dependent niece. (multiple felonies, incarceration, treatment, strange boyfriends... you all know the drill).

So fast forward to today. She is pregnant, living in a sober house after a commitment for mental illness/drug use last year, still off and on with the "sperm donor/father" of the child who is homeless, no car, can't hold a job for more than a day, and still using - Oh, and still dating an old girlfriend.

But for some reason, my addict/niece is still pining away for this nitwit. For over a year, he promises her the moon, and of course never delivers (because he is a homeless drug addict living in a shelter).

It boggles my mind. At least my niece is competent enough to fill out the paperwork to be in a facility - something completely beyond this nitwit of hers. But she somehow thinks he's going to magically become the husband/father she always dreamed of.

I asked her - "how will you know when it's time to give up - you've put up with all these lies, violence, drugs, abuse, etc. for over a year now" - she says she doesn't know.

I ask her if she was on a dating web site and a guy's profile said homeless, jobless drug addict with no car is looking for a girl who will have his baby - would she date him. Of course she says a horrified no.

but still she is pining away, wondering if/when he will call.

I just don'g get it.

But then, I don't need to. I just need to let go.

I guess the bible proverb is correct: A fool is like a dog that returns to its vomit.

Thanks for listening...