Old 07-18-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

I have done therapy for years and it is body centered. I find for me being in my head is a coping mechanism and a form of my fight/flight/freeze response (I lean toward freeze). My body has kept a record however.

I have been in the trenches with my emotional well being and overall find that to be much better and healed.

Recently I realized that I have some physical patterns and behaviors that are keeping me stuck. There is not necessarily an emotional hurt to be fixed but a way of being that keeps me there.

For example I do a lot of holding my breath (see freeze). I take a breath in and then just hold onto it. I did some body work around it and found this class through a friend. I don't start until September but it is a way of moving your body to be in touch with an support this part for you.

So with the breathing above I have had therapy and a body work session around it. I ended up sobbing like I did when I was 4, It was not trauma per say, but it was the crying you do when you want something as a little kid and it is sadness, frustration and big huge gulps of air as you try to catch your breath. I think I tried to regulate my breathing so I would not cry like that when I was young. More will be revealed but I suspect I have a lot more of these kind of behaviors to learn from.

So I don't know exactly what I signed up for, but I can promise to report back.