View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 10:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LifeChangeNYC

Disclosing my ex’s alcoholism

Torn. Need some advice...

Before I left my XAGF a few months ago, we had started a business together... nothing legally or financially binding me (thankfully I left prior to all that!) — however, a friend of mine (who I’ve known for 20+ years) I had recommended to help on a large project of ours. She’s very respected in her field and is held in high regard. This person doesn’t know that my ex is an active alcoholic. She does know that I moved out, ended the relationship and am no longer involved in the business or any communication with my ex.

My friend is still trying to get the project started. We connected last week... and she briefly mentioned that my ex hasn’t been communicating and is waiting for bank financing. It would be a very large and expensive project. Money isn’t an issue for my ex... but her drinking & reliability IS!

Here is where I’m torn. Because she’s my good friend...do I...

-say nothing & let the balls fall wherever they will. My friend will obviously... at some point see that my ex is an unreliable, active alcoholic... but will have already signed a legal contract and/or receive her fee. It may (probably will) end up disastrous and she (most likely) will be very upset that I never warned her.

-privately disclose that my ex is an alcoholic... and it’s up to her whether to continue with the project.

-or, privately disclose that my ex is an alcoholic and truly warn her about moving forward with this project!

I honestly don’t want to be involved at all, but I care about my friend & our friendship... and I’m already starting to feel guilty about not warning her. I’m confused about boundaries here? I mean, all this is up to them... and it’s not my fault that my ex is an unreliable alcoholic...

however, I did bring my friend into the project...and if our roles were reversed, I’d want to be informed so I could make the best decision for myself.

What would you do?