Thread: 2 1/2 months
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sohard

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post
You seem to be doing really well Sohard. I don’t often comment but have enjoyed reading about your journey in other threads. It’s true what you say, sobriety is learning how to live in a baseline state of peace and Zen rather than intermittently working up to it for a fleeting few hours until oblivion sets in. Which is sort of like bashing your head into a wall repeatedly just so you can appreciate how good it feels to stop.

It took a long while for my brain’s “reward center” to fully re-wire itself. But I do get those feelings of excitement and exhilaration now about other things like traveling, achieving life goals, even looking forward to social interactions. Laughter comes easily and fully without any fear of embarrassment or the plethora of other negative social consequences that were a part of the deal with drinking.

Reminiscing about the “good times” is extremely rare these days, as I know there’s nothing I could do or feel drunk that I can’t do and enjoy even more in sobriety. For me there was no magic formula that got me here, it’s just been an organic process of healing and slowly but surely changing my habits and lifestyle. But most importantly it’s taken time. If things are already easier at 2 and a half months, imagine what they can be like at 2 years. Just keep going.
thank you so much for this. It really helps.