View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HardLessons

Update To My Story

I haven't posted an update in a while so here goes:

There came a point in time in the relationship with my addict, when I decided to buy a house for her & her daughter to live in. At the time she was living in a very bad place. It was run down, dingy & dirty, & not safe at all. Her daughter at the time was like 8. This was all prior to me knowing the reality of my addicts life.

The house was meant to be a new start & chance to live in a nice, safe, comfortable & worry free home. I paid cash for the house & she knew if she seized this opportunity my intent was to give her the house one day free & clear. It was to be her house.

Her & I went looking at real estate & selected a house. It was a magical time for both of us & her young daughter. After she moved in weird things started happening shortly thereafter.

Over the next several months she, on her own, told me about everything in her life. All the crazy details. The sort of details which finally made the light bulb in my head light up. So now I knew.

A lot of good things went on in that house. Kid sleepovers & lots of laughter, cooking dinners, & holiday celebrations. But at the same time a lot of very bad things went on. Bad to the point of where I cant even describe it all to you. The addict was doing her addict thing. She was not trying to take this chance in a lifetime opportunity to make a new life for her & her young daughter. Things went very wrong.

I had to get a real estate attorney involved & force her to move out. It was a very stressful time. We found a house for her to rent which was like two miles away. I paid to move her. I bought her whatever she needed to get this rented house set up & comfortable.

After she moved out & over the next couple months I repaired & fixed up the house I had bought. We were still seeing each other & she would stop by to see what work I was doing. She didn't like that I was doing it. Looking back, I guess I was erasing her existence from the property.

The house sat vacant for about 2 years. I would go and check on it once a week or once every two weeks. I detached myself from addict in June 2017 (literally crawled away). The house I bought remained as an in my face monument to this huge failure. I hated going there. Memories of her. Was also very nervous I would run in to her - she lived close by. It was horrible.

11 months ago, I got the strength to put the house up for sale. It sold yesterday at 4 pm.

Here is the ironic part:

The woman who bought my house is a single mom with a daughter - about same age as my addict. She is moving from the same neighborhood where my addict moved too. She is moving from the same street, just a few houses down, on the same side of the street where my addict moved too. I find that to be very ironic.

My monument house is now gone. Its a huge weight off me. I don't have to go there anymore. I don't have to see it anymore. I don't have to take care of it anymore. I don't have to think about it anymore.

Its been a bit over a year now since I last saw or spoke to my addict. Her daughter called me Christmas day 2018 to wish me merry Christmas. We spoke for a bit but she didn't mention her mother nor did I. Her call touched my heart deeply but it also broke my heart. I lost all contact with this wonderful now teen age girl.

I have no one to share this with so I thought I would post it here on SR

Thanks