Old 07-11-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Abraham

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post

To the original poster: my advice is not to let anyone tell you what you think about yourself. I like myself now, and I always liked myself. I don’t believe I drank because I didn’t like the way I felt about “myself, life and specific circumstances“. I drank because I was addicted because I’d been chemically self-medicating my depression and OCD. I am now not addicted. And I don’t drink. And I haven’t for 67 days. I would just be wary of when people tell you why you feel something or lump all addicted drinkers together as “we alcoholics“. We are not a special group and do not all have the same qualities and all feel the same way about ourselves.
I agree. I did not drink because I did not like my self. I drank because the people I met when I moved in high school were drinking. And we did that for 20 years then went our separate ways and continued to do that(probably cuz we were addicted by then or still just trying to live it up). We had big parties all the time. Thats just how it was. After I quit for the first time just a month ago I did like myself. I do like myself.(I did not at the end of drinking but that was because of alcohol,not alcohol because of that) Plus there are no issues I have to deal with other than daily life. So I guess I was not drinking because of depression or the like. Far from feeling helpless or not having control because of any specific circumstance. I did not drink because of anxiety although the last few years I did develop that but it has went 99% away in the last month. folks always say there has to be an underlying issue and you must change everything in life, seek counseling, etc. All can be helpful to some. I guess my underlying issues were. I drank because we were experimenting while growing up and then it became a habit, then an addiction. 32 Days sober I am not fighting with or having any other issues other than alcohol. And im getting rid of that day by day. We are all different. Some people have anxiety issues and are alcoholics, some are depressed and alcoholics, some deal with abuse and are alcoholics..... Some are just alcoholics.