Old 07-08-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ImNotThatGuy

I have started to feel like the NA-meetings are triggering me and keeping me stuck in the past
Oh boy, yes, I can relate to this. On at least three occasions I have left an AA meeting and gone straight to a bar. It doesn't work for me personally for the triggering reason among others. It works for a lot of people, and I'm certainly not going to knock it because anything that spares lives and families from this disease is a good thing. It definitely does not work for everyone, and I know at least two long-time-sober alcoholics that feel this way, along with one now-dead alcoholic who washed out of AA and took the idea that he was a "hopeless alcoholic" and ran with it. They can call you a "dry drunk" all they want, but it's better than being a damp drunk who stumbles into AA after every binge.

SO what are your options? Therapy is good. AVRT (look it up) has been very helpful for me this time around. Just coming to these forums and reading and posting is a nice daily dose of reality and inspiration. Whatever you do: don't drink or use. That's the main thing.