Old 07-08-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DriGuy

AA is certainly helpful to a specific subset, but not for everyone. And the claim that it will work for "those who strictly follow our path," is not supported by research. Nor is there any research to indicate that while it only works for 5-10%, it is still better than other approaches. All that can be said is that it works for some. In addition, other approaches often work better, including among them RBT and CBT, which you have found work better for you.

As a person suffering from alcohol abuse, your task is to find which works best... [for you]. I don't believe it has to be one approach as an all or nothing. You can borrow from any approach you wish. You can even invent your own, although for myself, I have found it better to try various philosophies and test them. Each offers suggestions that others have found encouraging, and while these won't be universally helpful, some may help in your specific situation.

The pain from your past sexual abuse may be related to your abuse of alcohol. AA suggests the steps (learning life skills) will keep you sober, and this may be true for some. But that's completely backwards for me. I believe your sobriety facilitates your mastery of life skills. That along with other benefits causes me to put sobriety first. Once that is out of the way, the path is clearer to take on life.

Your CBT as a way of mastering life skills, will certainly include overcoming the guilt you feel from your past. In my opinion, Rational Therapy or Cognitive Therapy or almost any documented professional therapy is the most powerful thing out there for learning about yourself and taking on life. For me, there are no 12 specific anythings. It may be just one thing or an infinite number of things to explore.

I went to AA, and like you, I had no other alternatives, and I brushed off most of it. But there I found inspiration from alcoholics living rich lives in recovery, and a subset of AA does that. That was important to me for reasons I don't fully understand myself. Now life outside of AA also has many successful inspiring types, but most of these types have never been encumbered by alcohol problems. I guess I needed to know that it was also possible for alcoholics. I also picked up a gem here and there in AA, so there were other benefits.

You have got a year of sobriety under your belt, so you've got the most important part of your alcohol problem tamed. Now you can focus on your other issues, always being mindful that you can let down your guard and get mired in alcohol again. This danger will never go away, but you can avoid it as you go on about the rest of your life.

The best to you in your search. And it's an exciting search. I'm still doing it. It has not gotten old.