View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JPA

How did you feel?

This is really a question for anyone who has made a meaningful fist of recovery. Anyone prepared to study my post history, going back a decade or more, will note that I have a serious problem that I’ve sinoly failed to tackle.

I’ve tried to ‘manage’ things, but the reality is that I’m papering over the cracks and I acknowledge that as a 34 year old father of two (who I fúcking love to bits) I’m unlikely to see 44.

The reality is though ugh that I just find the prospect of quitting too daunting. In the past two years, I’d say the longest I’ve gone without a drink is four days. Without a drink in me I could barely walk, barely talk. Everything was a massive strain. I felt incredibly ill, until I had a few beers and everything was right again.

I know now that I need to stop completely for my family’s sake, but I’m fearful of the way I felt with just a short period of abstinence previously.

How did you feel when quitting and how long did it take until you felt ‘normal’!? How long do I need to suck it up before the pain and discomfort stops?