Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I actually can't come up with a clear answer to this because I am an alcoholic so can't convert my mind to non alcoholic thinking. Interesting though as it makes it clearer why a normal drinker can never fully understand why an alcoholic can never have just one!
I've thought about this too. The question is almost impossible to answer, because all our perceptions about the issue are personal. I could have said I would drink if I could, but this is from the perspective of a nonalcoholic, which I am not. I suppose I could say I was at one time, like when I was 14, but that was a time of my life when I had few experiences, not as much smarts, and subject to peer pressure.

Being an alcoholic that I am, I have looked at drinking from a perspective that normies have ever considered, understood, or incorporated into their reality, and that perspective is NOT that drinking affects me in a negative way. Well OK, that is a minor part of my perspective, but the biggy is that nothing about drinking affects me in a positive way. There is nothing to be gained from it that I can't achieve sober.

Not to discredit normies. They're good people. I just believe they confuse getting tipsy with having fun. Indeed it may be fun for them, but what they don't seem to get is that it isn't necessary.

Now taking the normie vs alki perspectives out of the picture, all I can say is that drinking is not fun for me, and in no way shape of form necessary for me to have fun.