View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
Yeah I get that completely with beer, infact so much so I have taken to AF beers and I love them, I still feel the refreshing after without the alcohol. And it doesn't make me miss the alcohol in it either it's just purely for the taste. Have a lovely time camping.

I'm just back from a trip and the people I was with where drinking, and one suggested I could 'have just one' bearing in mind I'm pregnant also 🙄 it made me feel so uncomfortable and out of my depth I panicked, like I'm a drip now or something. Had to go back to the room early and I burst out crying. My brother is also drinking alot and had a scary experience recently and I seen he is still drinking and my mind for whatever reason said 'if you can't beat em....' but then I caught it in its tracks and came here. I don't want to drink, and I know my mind is just playing the old tricks on me. I actually despise alcohol now, like really have so much hate for it. Which is good.

Yep, my mind plays the old tricks on me too, so much that I do not drink AF beers, because getting accustomed to that taste is dangerous for me. I’ve gotten to the point now where the thought of being impaired sounds horrible.

I actually bought my husband some alcohol for his birthday slash father’s day weekend. I was in Trader Joe’s picking out beer and I realized that I didn’t know how to buy beer anymore. I stood there a long time. The beer looked repellent. I started getting this growing sense that I could smell it and feel it in my stomach. It was a very real feeling. I became nauseous and walked outside quickly. I thought I might throw up. I could smell that fresh beer smell and I could feel that poisoned chemical overload feeling...It was very, very strange.

I bought his alcohol anyway, because he just doesn’t have my problem, I don’t want it, and damn it’s hard to buy gifts for men!

So I have the same Initial thoughts, the “I miss drinking beer thoughts” but when my brain goes further, I realize I am completely and totally turned off by it.

That was a process, it was a kind of brainwashing I did on myself.

I have shared this but I DO NOT recommend people in early sobriety getting that close to alcohol, part of being sober is knowing where you are in sobriety, and not letting yourself get near something if you know you can’t handle it. Not drinking AF beers is one choice I made, buying beer for my husband is another, but I know where I am.