View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  
venuscat

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Day 39 here!Hope everyone is having a good sober morning afternoon or night depending on where you are on the globe. Just had a question for the class. Why is alcohol so important? I 100 percent understand the mental gymnastics of hey maybe I can have just a few and things go steeply down hill from there as I have done that more times than Gilligan has attempts getting off the island! But in the past I personally have been wandering aimless through life with no real family or significant other, frankly did not give a crap about anything. Recently I have found purpose in life was kind of hard before with my BPD as often felt empty. Can't one make their purpose being the best father/mother they can be for their kids just as an example as I often hear stories about alcoholics losing their families. If ones kids and family are so important how is drinking even a consideration. Lets say you can moderate somehow you won't be the best parents possible as even non alcoholic parents who drink i have found are often off doing dumb things. I think it is comparing apples to apples but not 100 percent, I grew up in a hoarder household which seriously screwed me up as the newspapers and clutter were more important than me. If one does have significant others and people that depend on them how in the world can one be so selfish. Not attacking anyone here but why is drinking so important that one chooses that over their kids and family. I for the life of me could never understand that. If you want to drink your own life away I could understand that at least but to take the ones you love down around you just seems awful to me!
I have an answer, if you don't mind.

Because for many of us (alcoholics) we come to a point where we lose the choice. We come to a point where alcohol becomes as necessary as air and water....our hierarchy of needs gets messed up. We know we are destroying ourselves, but we become so physically and mentally addicted that booze comes first. A drink to steady, or calm the nerves, or to get the brain working, or to stop the shakes, or a million other reasons that become imperative....and we are stuck. Stuck in a horrendous cycle that we can no longer escape from.

We have lost the choice to be human....to know as you do that nothing is more important than being a good husband/partner and dad....than being a good man, a good human. I too believe that that is the purpose of life. xx