View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 02:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AAPJ

You mean like the guy who led an AA meeting about three weeks ago and shared that his sponsor told him that he should have three service positions at all times? Not one, not two, but three! He was of course implying that everyone should do more AA service work. Lots more. The single guy with no spouse and children to support? He's got time to go to lots and lots and lots of meetings.

He also likes to ask questions about everyone else's recovery program. You know to make sure you have a sponsor and are doing lots of step work. When I told him that I regularly visit a terrific website called soberrecovery.com to support my recovery process he said he was not interested because it was not "official AA".

Yes I have met that fellow. But for every one person in AA who acts like that I have met perhaps five folks who have what I consider a more balanced approach to their AA recovery program. The AA fanatics are certainly a minority in number but they make a lot of noise.

What is sad to me about these folks is that IMO they could be so much more effective in spreading the AA message if they just quietly lived the AA program by example and stopped all the horn blowing. But I don't expect this will change. They are who they are. This is not unique to AA. IME every group has it's over dedicated fanatics. Since this is a universal trait of human groups I accept it as something I cannot change and I do not use it as an excuse to avoid the AA recovery program. YMMV.