View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Realest View Post
I just wanna take what I need and leave the rest.
Could you offer some advice for someone like me on how to determine what I need and what I should leave. I mean this sounds like a pretty major, even life threatening, problem. How could someone who has no knowledge or experience, or any success to point to, in recovery from alcoholism, who has enormous difficulty just deciding what socks to wear for the day, how could I have made such a decision and what would be the chances that I would get it right?

I would really like to know the secret. Just at the moment, if I was to suggest that a specific individual could get sober that way, even though I have no evidence to support the idea, I would be a total liar.

When I came to AA, which has never been overtly religious in my part of the world, people often talked about the "spiritual" side of the program. Then it became apparent that there was no other side. It is especially obvious in step two, choosing recovery method. AA states we have a choice, face and alcoholic death or accept spiritual help. The third option would be try something else. By the time I got here, there was nothing else left to try.