View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
Excellent post, this deserves to be pinned.

I knew the enormity of the challenge that was ahead of me and I STILL underestimated just how tough early sobriety was going to be. However there was a pleasant surprise waiting for me once I got through the worst of it.

My goal was to live a simple life sober without white knuckling my way through daily existence. Nothing more, nothing less. After working my program and letting the mind and body heal I now wake up happy every morning. Being in a joyful mood is my default setting these days.

I'm 40 years old, I was NEVER happy going back to my childhood years. Now I'm happy which I wasn't even expecting, I just wanted to be able to live without craving for a drink every second.

Sobriety makes these miracles possible.

I see people going back out because it’s really tough and they believe that’s just their sober status quo.

It’s not.

It just feels like it is, because the healing process is so long, and the healing comes in tiny increments, so small it is not noticeable until a big chunk of time has passed. Each day is one small thread in the quilt, so a few days in, you only have a scrap: a year later, you have something so much bigger than that.

Congrats on your sobriety, and finding your joy.