View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
peaceful2

Originally Posted by Pipefish View Post
A fairly similar situation happened to me recently. I went along to a meeting I don't normally go to, and was immediately pounced on by another woman convinced I needed her help. I'm not normally given to hyperbole, but this wasn't a greeting, or fellowship, it was a pounce. Even though it was another woman, I felt uneasy and uncomfortable, it was beyond what would have been needed to support a newcomer, and it was not welcoming. It was odd.

She did not leave me alone the whole meeting. It was not attraction rather than promotion, it felt more like being interrogated. At the end of the meeting, she asked if I wanted her number, and I said thank-you but no, as I was unlikely to make use of it.

We are not obliged to give our contact details to anyone who asks us simply because they are in an AA meeting. Yes, I am responsible, but I can go through channels like a 12 step list, the official AA phone helplines if I need numbers to call, and I can wait to develop contacts in a home group that you trust.

I don't really have any advice about what to do now the situation has arisen. If it were me, I would ignore her messages if they were overly frequent, or felt intrusive. If they didn't, and it took me 30 seconds to say something kind and non-committal, then I may respond on that basis. But I'd definitely be careful who I shared my contact details with in the future.
My sponsor pounced on me too..and she was very quick to dump me too. So lesson learnt there. But this particular woman seemed very kind..it’s hard to tell how a person is at the beginning .

Anyway I sent her a text message so hopefully she will back off