SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - My story-My husband is an alcoholic and I'm co-dependent
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #98 (permalink)
flower959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano58 View Post
You may or may not be ready to separate but you could try and get some space. If he's drinking heavily at the weekend then he's not spending it with you. You may aswell spend time with friends, family. Get some perspective on it. Have a spa weekend away, just get away from his routine. I know it's not sustainable, but the rest of the week may be more bearable for you. It's NOT going to make him quit/taper. You have no power over him. (by him I mean the addiction -which is controlling him).

These are not your weekends, they're his. What do you want to do? What would make you happy? (ok..aside from flicking that big red stop switch that stops all of our loved ones drinking again)?

Big hugs, my love. I know how rough it is. We're all here for you.
Thanks! I think about this all the time-at least when the weekend gets closer. I'm a bit of a homebody and hate the idea that I get chased out of my own home. I do have a few hobbies (crafting, reading), a sister that I'm close to, and an aging mother that I help. I do have a close friend that I get together with here & there for a day (but she doesn't understand alcoholism and gives terrible advice regarding so I don't usually talk much about it with her).

The weekend has to be a good balance for me. I'll plan something for a Saturday, then have absolutely nothing planned for Sunday. I do think there is room for improvement here. I need to go do more things without him. I'm trying to plan a weekend get-a-way with my sister to visit my brother out of state.
flower959 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flower959 For This Useful Post:
hopeful4 (06-11-2019)