View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
pdm22

Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
I recorded myself on a good day telling myself why it's time to let get of my husband. I listen to it when I miss him and my mind starts straying to ideas (fantasies) of us getting back together. When I am feeling sad and lonely these fantasies seem like quite good ideas.

When I listen to the recording of strong, happy me telling myself to let go, it's so much more powerful than reading his old nasty messages. Yes, his messages reinforce the fact that I can't be with him but leave me feeling sad and hurt.

Listening to myself also reinforces that I can't be with him but leaves me feeling hopeful and confident that I can have good days. Some days I don't recognise that person, me, but is definitely me and I'm sometimes surprised by how together I sound!!

Hey, I love this idea. It reminds me of an exercise from one of the John Bradshaw books. He’s the one from the “inner child” concept and has a ton of excellent books (Healing The Shame That Binds You; Homecoming, etc).

Anyways, if there are any traumatic childhood memories that the mind goes back to, he has this exercise where you imagine yourself as you are now as an adult, going back to that moment when you were a child, and helping yourself out. I found myself using this exercise for so many experiences in my life, including from my teenage years, and some young adult experiences too, times when I really could have used some guidance.

And if in present time you are dealing with some situation or someone who may be hurting you, what better way to boost your confidence, than having the wiser side of you step in and help you out, and telling you, YOU CAN DO IT! I really like this .