SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Going back to work
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
entropy1964

Going back to work

Okay my SR cafe friends, I had no idea where to put this thread, or even if its appropriate. So this looked like as good a place as any.

I'm 54. I haven't worked in any real way in 18 years. My kid is starting Uni so its time for me to focus on me.

Yay, right? Well, sort of. I'm actually terrified. Now that I'm faced with getting a job, I'm completely flummoxed.

The career I left was lucrative. I was never some big wig or anything but I was a solid, middle management, tech kinda gal. I'm educated. I'm smart. I'm youthful.

And I'm fricken scared. I have no idea what my resume should look like. I mean, I should probably stop over thinking it and just write 'something'. I'm not even sure, with online applying and software based candidate selection whether my age will just preclude me from opportunities. I am tenacious. I'll have to figure this out.

But I'm scared. Like little kid scared.

So I was wondering if anyone can relate, has advice, experience. Anything.

And please, don't just tell me I'm too old and no one will hire me. One of my brothers already did that. Felt great. Hahaha.

Thanks!!!
entropy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to entropy1964 For This Useful Post:
Guener (06-08-2019), least (06-08-2019), sobersophie (06-08-2019)